Helping People Hurt in Accidents Get the Compensation They Deserve
People are injured in preventable accidents every day, often through no fault of their own. The injuries that people sustain in accidents can vary widely, ranging from minor bumps and bruises to serious injuries that can leave victims with long-term medical problems or disabilities. Similarly, accidents can occur in virtually any setting and often occur completely without warning. While the circumstances surrounding injury-causing accidents may be substantially different, they all share one thing in common – when they are caused by negligence, victims can usually recover compensation from the person or party responsible for their injuries.
At Hirsch & Hirsch, we represent people injured in a variety of accidents, including the following:
- Truck accidents
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Construction accidents
- Slip and falls
- Workplace accidents
- Dog bites
- Recreational accidents
The Personal Injury Legal Process
Many people who are hurt in an accident are unsure of how to get compensation for their injuries and how the legal process works. While every case is different, below are some of the steps that occur in most personal injury cases.
– It is important to remember that the vast majority of personal injury cases are concluded long before either party sees the inside of a courtroom. Typically, liability is uncontested, meaning that the only issue that needs to be resolved is how much one party will pay to the other. Generally speaking, this process involves negotiating with the at-fault party’s insurance company.
- Investigation – In some cases, there may be the need to investigate the way in which an accident occurred in order to determine or establish liability. When this occurs, the party seeking compensation will need to gather evidence of the other party’s negligence, which could include things like surveillance footage, eyewitness statements, maintenance records, and cell phone records, among others.
Filing a Claim
– Some personal injury cases are unable to be resolved through the negotiation process, either because one party refuses to concede liability or the party conceding liability refuses to make a reasonable settlement offer. When this occurs, it often becomes necessary to file a personal injury lawsuit in the appropriate court. While there is still a chance that a case that has been filed can be resolved through a settlement, the case may also proceed to a full trial where a judge or jury will decide the contested issues.
Do You Need a Personal Injury Attorney After an Accident?
Many people wonder whether they need to hire an attorney at all after an accident, particularly when they are contacted by an insurance company with a settlement offer without having taken action on their own. After all, lawyers are known for charging high fees, and why would you spend money on an attorney when you could handle the claim yourself? It is important to understand two facts regarding personal injury claims and legal fees before deciding to represent yourself in a personal injury case:
- Accurately assessing the value of a personal injury case is extremely complicated and requires significant experience and legal training. As a result, individuals who do not retain legal counsel often do not know what their case is worth and may be convinced to accept a settlement offer significantly below the actual value of their claim. In addition, insurance companies have little incentive to negotiate with an unrepresented party as there is little risk of the case going to trial.
- At Hirsch & Hirsch, we use a contingent fee arrangement with all of our personal injury clients, meaning that we will not collect any legal fees unless we successfully recover on your behalf. In addition, any legal fees we collect will come out of the settlement or award you receive, so at no point will you need to reach into your own pocket to pay for legal representation.
Contact Hirsch & Hirsch, LLP Today to Speak with an Experienced New York Personal Injury Lawyer
If you have been hurt in an accident that was caused by another person, you should speak with an attorney immediately. Many accident victims are entitled to compensation for the losses they sustain, and a skilled lawyer can make sure that you receive the full and fair value of your claim. The kinds of losses for which you may be able to recover include both economic and non-economic losses, including your medical expenses, lost income, loss of quality of life, and physical and emotional pain and suffering. To schedule a free consultation with one of our lawyers, call Hirsch & Hirsch today at 516-486-8500. You can also email us through our online contact form.